Friday, May 20, 2016

My New Novel Is A Real Tropical Getaway!

SEBASTIAN DEMARCO: A hunk in mourning for his lost wife . . . and his lost honor.

LUCY HARRISON: An undercover agent whose only passion is for justice . . . until she’s ambushed by discipline and desire!

DEMARCO’S CAPTIVE is my latest romance for Blushing Books, and just like my previous releases it’s got plenty of spanking action and spanking fun.

But this time I wanted to do something a little different. I wanted to recapture the mood of the great romance novels I grew up with in the Seventies and Eighties. Remember how strong those Seventies heroes were? Sebastian’s like that, so powerful he runs an entire Caribbean island like it’s his private estate. He’s moody and sexy and very, very used to getting his own way. (Just wait till you see him carry Lucy up the stairs and spank her behind on the first afternoon they meet!) Yet he’s also in pain, haunted by his family’s bloody history and the death of his first wife.

Lucy “Lucky” Harrison is just as feisty and fiery as those great Seventies heroines . . . but she’s got a whole host of real-world problems she needs to solve. The island of San Cristobal is the site of a major drug ring, and the whole government is on the take. The only way Lucy can crack the ring is to go undercover, and become “Lucky,” the spoiled party girl who’s just looking for more good times. Unfortunately that puts her right under DeMarco’s thumb . . . and under his red hot discipline!

Now I would never accuse myself of writing great literature, let alone paying tribute to the classics. But after I finished DEMARCO’S CAPTIVE (for some reason it flowed really fast, almost like I was living out Lucky’s adventures in my dreams) I realized that what I’d really written was a sort of modern day TWELFTH NIGHT. Sebastian is the melancholy noble in mourning, sort of a cross between Duke Orsino and the fair Olivia in Shakespeare’s play. Lucy is the outspoken outsider, the fresh-faced stranger from the sea. And just the way spunky, shipwrecked Viola becomes Cesario to win Orsino’s heart, prim and sensible Lucy captivates Sebastian by taking on the daring role of “Lucky” the carefree party girl. Writing DEMARCO’S CAPTIVE gave me a chance to enjoy the lush sights, sounds, and smells of the Caribbean, and to pay tribute to my favorite Shakespeare play as well.

If music be the food of love, play on!

No comments:

Post a Comment